Sunday, December 13, 2009

Skinny Puppy 2009: Still got it

A few months ago, I was alerted to the fact that Skinny Puppy was on tour, and said tour was ending in L.A. on Dec. 10. Hm.

It's been years since I've seen Skinny Puppy. Like, a LOT of years. But I've always had love for that band. From the first time I ever heard their music (song: "Smothered Hope," played by DJ Charles English at Detroit club Todd's) through an unforgettable show at St. Andrews Hall and the endless nights in Ann Arbor with Hank and John, drinking Jim Beam and performing "The Red X" ritual (don't ask)— well, let's just say that Skinny Puppy and I go way back.

First, I was pleasantly surprised by a pair of tickets from a very dear old friend Jason. Then, there was this online contest to win tickets that I forgot about entering that turned up even more tickets. The universe really wanted me to see Skinny Puppy.

It was a dark and stormy night. Ha. I mean, it was, but that's besides the point.

I rolled downtown to the Club Nokia for the show. When I went inside, wow. There were a LOT of people out to see Skinny Puppy in 2009. So far, so good.

I was just kind of hanging out in the back Twittering when I saw her. I was just this tiny blur of porcelain skin and dark hair, but the profile was unmistakable. Sasha Grey had just scampered past me and towards the elevators.

Instinctively, I followed her into the elevator. It was just her, me...and some bitchy elevator attendant.


"Um, you need a VIP bracelet for this level." The attendant cast me a steely glare. I glanced over at Sasha as I got out of the elevator. Fail.

I ran into my friend Timothy Norris, who is also an ace photographer. He too had seen Sasha. He mentioned her sneakers, which were rather outstanding. Sparkly red high-tops with silver studs around the top. Fresh to death.

And then, there was the show. Skinny Puppy has not lost an inch over the years. Their stage show is as surreal and awesome as ever (this time around they had kind of a Mummenschanz vibe going on). Nivek Ogre is still a compelling frontman, and they sounded ferocious.

Oh, and Sasha Grey was standing about 5 feet away from me for the entire show. Win.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

biomechanics entrants bmjjournals encyclopedia reasons protective drawback tolerance distinctness meixell assuming
servimundos melifermuly