Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Kids: Still alright

Last night I went to the Roxy on Sunset to cover the opening night of “Spin The Bottle,” a new all-ages weekly happening there on Monday nights.

While I could go on about what I saw there forever, I’ll spare you and just direct you to the “official” story I wrote for the L.A. Times.

But I do want to mention Ike and Manny Adler, the teenaged promoters of the event. The younger bros of Roxy owner Nic Adler (and sons to the legendary Lou), they were both really genuine, cool kids that seem to have their acts together in spite of, well, everything (Lord knows if my dad sat next to Jack Nicholson at Lakers home games and there were pictures of Rod Stewart mugging for the camera around the hearth at the holidays in the family photo album, I’d be nothing less than a holy terror).

I’ll always have a soft spot in my heart for teen clubs (Spanky’s represent!). They pretty much saved me from a life of Dungeons & Dragons and general hopeless nerdery back in the day, that’s for sure.

If you’re in L.A. and have a restless teen in your world, do them (and yourself) a favor and give ‘em a lift to this teen spirit rally. The kids just wanna dance, y’all.

0 comments: